CLIMIT-demo will contribute to the development and demonstration of CCS technologies by providing financial support to projects that will:
- Develop knowledge, expertise, technology and solutions that contribute towards cost reductions and international deployment of CCS.
- Leverage national advantages and development of new technology and service concepts with commercial and international potential.
- CLIMIT-demo will support projects in the following areas:
- CO2 capture before, during or after power generation or in industrial processes
- Compression or other handling of CO2
- Transport of CO2
- Long-term storage of CO2 in geological formations or by other forms of deposition
- Use of CO2 that entails long-term storage
Six types of projects qualify for support:
- Technical-economic feasibility studies to assess the technical and commercial potential of new technologies individually or in a value chain.
- Support for technology testing at pilot scale including separate process stages.
- Support for demonstration tesing facilities: Testing and operation of technologies in semi-industrial scale to assess the technology's performance, operational optimisation, accessibility and reliability.
- Development of service concepts or methodology for CO2 capture and storage in order to realise full-scale CCS.
- Limited amounts for networking and knowledge sharing in cases with clear scientific and international rationale.
- International projects where the activity is partially financed through EU programmes and/or national programmes in other countries with objectives comparable to CLIMIT.
Key criteria in the assessment of applications for Climit-demo:
Sceintific basis: Projects that receive support must be technologically qualified through documentation of research and development activities and good results in laboratory scale.
Commercial potential: This means prospects for profitability, market opportunities, business concept, realism in business plans, etc. The commercial potential must be documented by research work, feasibility studies or market analyses. The project must have plans for partnerships with national and international technology suppliers and users to support market introduction.
Value creation in Norway: The project shall contribute to value creation in Norway in the form of either technology or expertise development within the general CLIMIT objective.
Applicants must contribute to financing their projects. CLIMIT will contribute no more than needed to incentivize the project. The application shall include a binding financing plan. When the project receives a support commitment from CLIMIT the project should be fully-financed and ready for start-up.
Implementing the project
Applicants must document their own technical, financial and organisational ability to carry out and commercialise the project.
Applicants shall document freedom to operate and a plan for patenting of results from the project. Gassnova will not claim ownership of results from the project.